Choosing the Right Natural Shampoo for Black Men
Just like with skin care products for men, when it comes to natural men’s shampoo, there are a lot of options. Many companies have hopped onto the “all-natural” bandwagon, hoping to get their slice of the pie. The problem is that there are very few natural shampoos for black men that actually work. Our hair types are unique and require different care, and most natural shampoos don’t address this issue. The second problem is that not every shampoo labeled “natural” isn’t actually natural. In a world full of misleading labels, it can be difficult to choose the best natural shampoo for men. In this post, we’ll help you read labels and teach you which ingredients to avoid so you can make the best decisions for your hair.
Step 1: Know Your Ingredients
Black men’s hair needs special care and attention, which is why many black men have joined the natural product wave. The results and long-term effects speak for themselves. However, even some “natural” shampoos can contain harmful ingredients, and most companies are relying on you to not read the ingredients list. Don’t worry, we’re here to break it down for you.
These are the top ingredients you should avoid at all costs:
- Fragrance - Everything that smells good, isn’t good for you. These chemically produced scents that usually contain phthalates, which have been proven to disrupt hormones in black men.
- Preservatives- Extend shelf life of products and prevents spoilage, but preservatives can do more harm than good. Preservatives may include parabens or benzyl alcohol, which have been linked to being a possible carcinogen and neurotoxin
- Surfactants - Wash away dirt and grease, but they can include sulfates, which are proven to strip away your hair’s moisture.
These are the major shampoo ingredients to look out for, for more harmful ingredients, check out The Absolute Worst Products for Black Skin.
The best natural shampoo won’t have the sketchy ingredients listed above. In fact, you should be able to easily pronounce any ingredients you put on your body or in your body. The best ingredients are easy to read and understand. Here’s a list of amazing ingredients that black men should always look for in their shampoo:
- Essential Oil - these antioxidant and vitamin-rich oils will help black men nourish, moisturize, and protect their hair.
- Natural Plant / Fruit Extracts - these beneficial parts of the plant have been extracted to encourage hair growth and hair strength.
- Shea Butter - is a legendary ingredient that provides superior moisture, conditions, and soothes your hair. Black men’s hair tends to get dry quickly, choose a shampoo that includes shea butter because it’s proven to be an ultimate moisturizer.
Step 2: Know Your Consistency
If you’re used to using conventional, non-natural products, you may be programmed to go for the thickest shampoo that provides the most lather. However, most shampoo thickeners are artificially produced and highly processed, which isn’t good for you or your hair. Some companies even use plastic derivatives such as styrene acrylate copolymer to give their shampoo a shiny and pearly look. Stay away from shampoos that are thick and pearly, because they definitely won’t be natural. The best natural shampoos for black men will be thinner, transparent, clear-ish, and more “liquidy” than conventional shampoos. A great natural shampoo won’t have a thick silky feel or a pearly appearance, but it will cleanse your hair just as well, without all the extra harmful chemicals.
Step 3: Know Which Brands Are Best for You
A natural shampoo can include all of the best ingredients without any of the harsh chemicals and still not work for black men. Why? Companies have their own formulations, their own ingredient suppliers, and they include different grades and amounts of key ingredients. The best natural brands for black men will have a product line that does exactly what it says it will do. Whether it’s hair hydration, skin rejuvenation, or beard growth, these companies should deliver on their promises.
For a men’s grooming company that performs as promised, and uses nothing but the best all-natural ingredients, choose Golden Grooming Co. Our products are specifically designed for black men and other men of color, which means we focus solely on designing products that actually work for black men.
When It Comes to Natural Shampoo for Black Men, This Product is the G.O.A.T.
Now that you know which ingredients to look for and which ingredients to avoid, it should be much easier for you to recognize a high-quality natural shampoo. We spent years in the lab testing and perfecting the formulation for our 3-In-1 Shampoo, Beard Wash, and Body Wash. With hundreds of 5-star reviews, it truly is the best cleanser for black men that works great as an ultra hydrating body wash, a moisturizing beard wash and a natural men's shampoo and a perfect addition to black men grooming routines.
- 3-In-1 Triple Action - Clean your hair, body, and beard with one single product.
- Extreme Moisture and Hydration - Removes impurities and enhances hydration, leaving your hair and skin clean, soft, and completely moisturized.
- 100% Natural - This amazing product contains essential oils, plant extracts, fruit extracts and all-natural scents including sandalwood and bergamot. No parabens, phthalates, sulfates, petrochemicals, synthetic dyes or silicones, propylene glycol, mineral oils, triclosan, EDTA or aluminum, artificial fragrances or preservatives.
As a leader in black men's body care products Golden Grooming Co. works hard to bring you helpful info and tips to help you improve your skin, beard and hair care but isn’t an overnight task, it requires discipline. Like all great things, the best way to maintain healthy skin is to learn the basics for black men’s skincare and adhere to a proven skincare routine that works. If you need additional guidance, check out A Black Man's Guide to Getting Rid of Ashy Skin Once and For All.